Tuesday, April 19, 2016

What to do When You're in a Reading Slump

Ah, the dreaded words reading slump. We've all been there. Wanting or needing to finish a book but not having the drive to finish it. It could be a really good book, but it just feels like a big hassle. Reading should never feel like a hassle (if you enjoy it) and I thought it might be a good idea to tell you guys what I've done to get me out of my slump. In fact, I'm in one now and it has not been easy to get out of.

Stop reading for awhile
This probably sounds horrible or sad or something that you wouldn't want to do but if you're forcing yourself to get through a book, it's time to put it down. Not just for a few minutes, either. Put it down for however long you feel is necessary to get you back into the swing of reading. It can be a month if you want it to be. Do some of your other hobbies that you would normally do in your reading time. If this is a book for school, the best I can offer you is to look on Cliff Notes and hope for the best.  That last line is offering bad advice that could result in failing grades. Please ignore.

Re-read a favorite book
This one sounds a little weird. Why would you want to re-read a book when you barely want to finish the book you're reading now? Sometimes, a beloved favorite just gets you excited for reading again in that mysterious way favorite books can only do. My favorite is My Life Next Door and it honestly helps me to re-read it because its so lighthearted and gets me excited to dive back into the world that author's create for us.

Try an Audiobook
Audiobooks offer us a different (and sometimes more entertaining) way to read. You're no longer reading plain words in a book or on a screen, you're actually hearing how the world and characters come to life. If it's a really good narration and book, it may make you excited to read or try more audiobooks.

Watch bookhauls
I know this one is also weird, but seeing other people excited for books makes me excited for books. There's just something so contagious with excitement and books. You want to know what they're so excited about and sometimes that one book can pull you right out of the slump.

These may or may not help. These were just some little things that I do when I'm in a slump and am having a hard time exciting myself to read books. What do you do to get out of a reading slump?

No comments:

Post a Comment