Sunday, April 24, 2016

The Night Circus Review

I don't know if any review will ever do this book justice but I'm gonna give it my best shot. The Night Circus is about two magicians put up against each other in a mysterious competition. One can only win, but what happens when they fall in love? And how did The Night Circus come to be in the first place? Nobody really knows.

Now let me be really honest, this book is not fast paced at all. This book has no extreme action scenes or anything else, but it's beautifully written. Erin Morgenstern does an amazing job with her description of the world. I don't think any other author I've read has had the world building that she does. You knew where those characters were all the time and the descriptions were so vivid it was as if you were there. There are also parts of it told in second person. Obviously, there are not a lot of books told in second person. I love when I find a book like that because I feel really included and involved with the world. This book was the same way.

The plot is not easy to always follow as it does jump around a bit. It might take a few chapters to understand everything, but it's easier to follow once everything starts to fall into place. There's also a lot of secrets in this book that I was also dying to know. I wanted to be let in to the inner circle just as bad as some of the characters were. Why was there a competition? Why did this character die? Why did she carry all of the circus on her back? No, you really never figure it out. I'm not going to lie, I still have some questions that were not answered outright. The ending came as a shock. I didn't understand what one character had to do with the circus through the majority of the book, but he ended up fitting in quite well with the world.

While this book isn't particularly scary or gory, I feel it is better suited for older audiences or mature readers. A young reader may not understand everything going on or even grasp the point of the novel; an older reader would truly appreciate the idea of the novel.

I rated this book 5 stars and could not be happier with this read. You need this book in your life. Next time you're in a bookstore and you pass it, it'll be whispering your name and "accidentally" falling off the shelf. Anything can happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment