Wednesday, April 13, 2016

All the Bright Places- Review

*trigger warning: this book and review deals with  themes such as suicide, depression, and other mental illnesses. Suicide is never the answer. If you need help, please talk to someone you trust. I want you here. Someone else wants you here*

I'm not going to sugar coat this book at all. It's a little rough towards the end. You really see what it's like to deal with some of the mental illnesses in Finch's case. I loved the book to a point, but I thought other things may have been over exaggerated or put into a negative light or didn't really get the idea across.

As I said above, this book deals with suicide and bipolar disorder. Finch suffers from these. And through this journey he has opportunities to get help which he always declines because he refuses to be called a label. Due to this, adults seem to be put into this negative light. Finch's parents are abusive and never there, and Embryo (I forgot his real name) comes off much ruder and like Finch is a bother. I don't agree with this outlook on the grownups except the father. Adults only try to help when someone is feeling that way but I think it got warped. I might get argument for this, but I also felt mental illnesses were romanticized in this book. In the way Finch acted through the book, I felt he enjoyed it. Which bothers me because it's nothing like that. Any mental illness is absolute hell.

Other than those few things, I love the book. I loved the characters. I thought Violet was interesting, especially once she got out of her shell and stopped caring what her ex friends thought about her. Finch's relationship with her was beautiful. It was two people who had been through so much and felt so broken but came together and became whole. I loved their wanderings through the book. Everything was just adorable.

This is a tough read to a point. You will have to be careful because of some of the content but overall it's a great read. I give it 4 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment