Tuesday, April 5, 2016

The Siren by Kiera Cass Review

I'm going to jump right into this review because this book left me feeling so torn with so many things that had happened in the book. First, let me just add that Kiera Cass is an amazing author and her writing captivates me every time, and this book was no different. It took me less than two days to finish this book and I was hoping it would leave me feeling satisfied and excited to read more books but it kind of kept me in my reading slump (I've been in one since Passenger).

Here's what I adored about the book: the setting and the way Cass personified the ocean. I love swimming and I love all water and seeing the ocean come to life in this novel was absolutely amazing and I enjoyed every bit of interaction any of the girls had with it. The setting also was beautiful. I had such a vivid image in my mind of where the girls were living at a given time and what they were seeing during their singings. I also loved Akinli. It was so nice to see just an average boy who was just nice. Not playing games with her or trying to choose between her and another girl. A nice boy. These things made the book extremely enjoyable. But there was such a major thing that made me not like the book, which is why I still feel so torn about it.

I couldn't stand the main character. I almost wish this book was told in 3rd person rather than her point of view. Something about her just turned me off to a huge part of the story. I didn't like her "sisters" (not her actual sisters) either. They annoyed me a little less than her, though. Kahlen, which is the main character's name, felt too whiny. I realize the things that the Ocean was putting her through was life changing but a good portion of the book is just with her down and longing for things that she knew she couldn't have. Her sisters didn't really have a lot of substance to really get a feel on how their personalities were other then that they were party girls. Pacing was another aspect of this to be lacking. In the beginning things happen, very periodically through the middle things happen, and at the end a whole lot of things happen. So through the middle, you may be left kind of bored.

This a book that you really have to read and get a feel for it. I'm going to rate this book 3 stars due to some of the good weighing out the bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment