Thursday, June 30, 2016

The Rose and the Dagger Review

The Rose & the Dagger is the second and final book in The Wrath & the Dawn duology. It picks up directly where the first book takes off and is more about Khalid trying to break the curse and readying for war with his uncle if need be. This review will have spoilers.

As with what happened with the first book, this book took a little longer to get into for me. The writing is still absolutely beautiful in this book, but something was holding me back from truly enjoying it at first. This book is slower paced than the first one I feel and the first half of the book felt like one huge filler until the end. Shazi is in a camp, that Tyriq took her to, trying to get back to Khalid and learning how to break the curse. Towards the middle of the book, they learn what to do to break the curse though it's never explicably told if what he was told broke the curse. Towards the end of the book is when the action actually picked up. Shazi was taken again and finally Khalid was forced to go to war with his uncle. I think the plot got lost a little in this book and some of the characters were lost among it. I expected this to be a quest to break the curse and it being a lot more complicated then what it was.


I questioned what Shazi's objective in the book was. She was mostly a pawn for other people's game even though she swore she wouldn't be. I mean, she was kidnapped from one place to another with so many betrayals and lies it was hard to keep track of. I didn't really understand Irsa's point in either novel. She didn't do much for me, and the only time I felt something for her other than indifference was when Rahim died. Khalid and Tyriq were still true to form in this book and I was thankful that neither changed too much.

I liked the first book a lot more than I liked this book but this one was still spectacular with the world building and descriptions. 3.5/5 Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment