Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Gena/Finn Review

Gena/Finn is a novel told strictly in IMS, text messages, blog posts, and all other media related things. Gena and Finn are two girls who meet after bonding over liking the same tv show. It follows them as their relationship goes from friends to more than friends. It's an intense novel and not for the lighthearted. I actually finished this book in a day but this review won't be up until two days from now.

As I said before, this book is very intense. It's not the feel good story I thought it was going to be and this book made me laugh and cry with the characters. I loved the characters personally. Gena a little more than Finn because she was closer to my age and I understood what she was going through, but both were fantastic. I thought their relationship was a little unhealthy though. They started out s strangers, turned into friends pretty fast, and then they were meeting and developing more than friends feelings and becoming a little obsessive with each other. I LOVE PIE. I have nothing against internet friends and I know they're valid, but I thought the friendship moved way too fast to be realistic. I've never had an internet friend before so I could be wrong. The middle and ending was absolutely insane. At times I felt it was odd and out of place, but for the most part I realized where it went in the story and realized it fit well. (It was a huge event. You'll know what I'm talking about if you read it).

I know the two authors wrote their own character and it was flawless. The two characters had their own voice and was distinct without being two different and feeling like I was reading two different stories. To show how the fandom and the show brought these two together, the blog posts and text messages were excellent. You saw them interact directly with the fandom and the fangirls and it was just excellent. The mental illness part of it was done excellently and it wasn't the only thing that book was about.
4/5 stars



No comments:

Post a Comment