Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Everything, Everything Review

Everything, Everything is the debut novel of Nicola Yoon that follows an 18 year old girl, Madeline, who has a rare autoimmune disease (SCID) that stops her from going outside and being a normal teenager. This book shows her struggles with the sickness and what happens when she meets the right boy to get her to start living.

There's almost no complaints I have about this book. It was just that good. The writing was wonderful and light hearted even when dealing with such a topic as SCID. The main character took it all in and understood that she couldn't do things like the other kids even if she wanted too. I will admit she was a little childish sounding, but since she hasn't left the house in 18 years and had been so guarded I can completely understand that. Olly was such a good character and I loved that he didn't feel bad for her. He tried to make her feel normal, and most kids wouldn't do that. HE put in effort to try and see her even though the process is long and arduous. He was just a good kid who didn't have the best life at home but never let that stop him. I can't sing enough praise for these two characters and how well they fit together in the book.

I will say I couldn't stand the mother and she gets a whole paragraph for this. From the first page that she was introduced, I couldn't stand her. I understand having a sick child and needing to protect them, but she just needed to be with Madeline (main character's name) 24/7. She couldn't go anywhere so she wasn't going anywhere anytime soon. At the end of the book I realize now why she was the way she was and I completely respect it. I still didn't like her, though. I just respected her reasoning for protecting her daughter.

This book has extra little things in it like IM messages, drawings, schedules, and other stuff like that. I feel those things only add to a reading experience because now you're even more in the characters lives and get to see things happening first hand instead of them just describing it. The ending was completely shocking at something I didn't see coming at all. Sometimes, I can pick up on little hints that give stuff away but not this time. Not even close. Yoon just executed this book so flawlessly and beautifully and I can't wait for her next book in November.

5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment