Friday, June 10, 2016

A Court of Thorns and Roses Review

I attempted this book over winter break last year and only got 35% through before I gave up. I tried it again and loved it more than I liked it before, but I still didn't love this book. This is Sarah J Maas' other book series. The second book A Court of Mist and Fury is out now.

This book is *loosely* based on Beauty and the Beast but take the loosely very heavily because I didn't see any similarities between Beauty and the Beast and this book, and I think that's why I didn't like it the first time around. I thought it was going to be more closely of a retelling than what it actually was. Now that I know what I got into this time around, I could accept it for what it was. This is not one of her better books and I think her other books does leaps around this book, but I also heard the second book gets better and I'm quite excited to read it.

This book is just average. The writing was very repetitive with certain phrases and it lost its punch or effect after its repeated for the 5th time in 3 chapters. Nothing really happens in the first half of the book other than Feyre getting taken by Tamlin (not a spoiler). Then I feel the plot kind of disappears until the second half of the book and we're tossed into a whole different plot it feels. It also did a lot of jumping around and I was left very confused through parts of it. 

Tamlin had amazing character growth through out the book and so did Lucein for that matter. They felt so real to me and I fell in love with all the characters except Feyre. She wasn't a bad heroine, but I also compared her to Aelin (or Celaena) quite a lot. That was probably my fault. 

This book does have a little mature content so read at your own risk. It's nothing too shocking, though. Overall, I'd give this book a 3.5/5. 

No comments:

Post a Comment