Tuesday, May 10, 2016

The Raven King -Review *Major Spoilers*

This review will have spoilers from the book series The Raven Cycle. If you have not read it, I encourage you to pick up the first book The Raven Boys. Do not read this review if you have any interest in this series.

This is the last book in the wonderful Raven Cycle quartet. There was a lot going on in this book. Now we all knew in the beginning of the first book that a). Gansey was meant to die and b). Blue would probably be the one to kill him. This whole book series is about their adventure through the magical Cabeswater and them trying to figure it out I guess. In this last book, Cabeswater is dying and so is Ronan's dreamscape. Anything affecting him will affect the forest since he is the one who gave it life in a physical form. Gansey, while trying to help Ronan, is also searching for his own magical item per say: Owen Glendower. He does find him but it ultimately disappointed with the results and then basically everything goes to crap in the book. Everyone almost dies and it's a complete disaster. But I do have one word for you guys: Pynch. 'Nuff said.

I was both overwhelmed and underwhelmed with this book. I had been anticipating this book since I read Blue Lilly, Lilly Blue because I was hoping everything was going to tie together and we were going to get this explosive ending. We did. Sort of. I don't think everything made sense in the book and I'm confused why some of the characters were ever put into the series in the first place (Piper, Henry, and Artemus). I didn't see a real reason for them and I felt the series could've done just fine without them. I will tell you what disappointed me to no end: Gansey did not end up finding Glendower. He was long dead by the time Gansey found him and tried to ask for a favor. A huge part of this series was Gansey trying to find Glendower and I was really upset when they found him and he'd just been dead the whole time. I didn't see that coming and not in a good way. Blue is also part of the tree people which confused the living crap out of me and truly made no sense in the book. Gansey does die like the author promises and no he does not stay dead. He'll come back because Ronan will beg for Cabeswater to do something to give them back Gansey. So he lives on.

I think for a book itself it is an amazing book. I love how Maggie Stievater writes because it's beautifully written and lyrical. As the end of a book series, I think it could've been a little different. I wish it had answered more questions or just be a little more cohesive because as I said, huge chunks of this book was lost on me only making it more complicated with more questions that were never fully answered. I would still invest your time in these books because the characters are extremely loveable and I loved all of them as if they were real. It was a bittersweet end to an incredible and weird book series. 5 stars.

If you for some reason still read this review without reading the other books but still want to read the series, here are the other three book titles:
The Raven Boys
The Dream Thieves
Blue Lilly, Lilly Blue

No comments:

Post a Comment