Sunday, May 15, 2016

Carry On Review

Carry On is a novel by Rainbow Rowell and it's the fanfiction from her other novel Fangirl. While you could read Fangirl before diving into the other novel, it's not necessary and wouldn't stop you from understanding the novel.

I know a lot of people feel as if this is a Harry Potter rip of but since I've never read Harry Potter I'm not spoiled or upset in this way. In fact, I loved the novel; the second half was much more entertaining than the first half. It just got so excited and I was captivated with the writing and the relationship that was starting to grow but wasn't one hundred percent there yet. Rainbow Rowell did amazing on this novel, and other than Eleanor and Parks this is one of my favorite novels not just by her but in general.

I'm going to split this review into first half and second half because of my differing opinions on the two sections of the book. The first half was slow and was more explaining Simon's back story and how he got to Watford and it had nothing going on. I actually almost DNFed this book at page 150 because I thought this whole book was going to be like that, but then I saw Baz was about to be introduced in 10 pages and I continued on with the story. As I said before, I'm certainly glad I did. Towards the end of the first half of the book, it does start to pick up pace as two mysteries emerge and a love triangle (sort of) comes to light. Most of the characters actually bothered me in the first half and Agatha and Penelope continued to bother me in the second half. Agatha didn't care enough and Penelope was too bossy.

The second half was so much better than the first half. You were thrown into the mystery with the characters and trying to figure out along with them who killed Baz's mother while also seeing Baz and Simon's relationship start to play out beautifully. The killer was quite predictable and I guessed it since the beginning of the book that it was who it was but overall this ended up being an amazing book. I rated this book 4 out of 5 stars.

(A/N: I haven't finished Crown of Midnight yet so that's why there's no review up. I had to take a break.)

No comments:

Post a Comment