Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Flawed Review

Flawed by Cecelia Ahern is a book about a perfect society and if you fail or step out of line in anyway you are branded with an F and are officially flawed. The main character, Celestine, witnesses something that she is not supposed to react to and will ultimately pay the price for the decision that she makes. She will become the poster child on not what to do. Her family and her relationships will never be the same.

This book is your average dystopian. A "utopia" that a character lives in until they see the flaws (see what I did there?) in their society and try to stand up for what they believe is right. Well, in this society it's a lot harder because ethics plays such a major role in how the society functions and the rules. I absolutely hated the beginning of the book; I'm not going to pretend and sugar coat it. I liked the idea of the book premise outside of the book. I didn't like the book premise going into the book. Seeing it played out only made me angry at the character and all the other "perfect" people in this society. But I know, it's a book. Chill. So I did. It was only a matter of time before the main character effed up like we knew she would and when she did it wasn't even that bad. Morally, she responded the correct way, but the town got all hysterical. (I actually don't think this paragraph had a true point at all.)

I didn't enjoy these characters. They were extremely boring and I think they were boring because of the society that they lived in and they couldn't really express themselves. The most interesting part for me was the court room and the judging day for her. That was probably the most that happens in this book. The rest is her dealing with the repercussions of being flawed and having to adjust to a new style of life. I just didn't like the idea of people frowning down on someone because they made a mistake that was most likely a morally and ethically correct decision.

I think the dystopian genre is dying; it had its run with The Hunger Games and Divergent series but now its losing steam. This story idea is not new. There are other stories very similar to this. I thought  of Matched  for some reason when I read this series. Syfy and fantasy are really becoming dominant forces in young-adult fiction. I hope a good dystopian book comes out that knocks everyone out and revives this genre because I did love it. I loved the picture perfect societies they did only to have someone knock it down and slowly rebuild it into someone better. Until then....I shall be waiting.....

3 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment