Wednesday, July 27, 2016

A Darker Shade of Magic Review

A Darker Shade of Magic is an intense book about a young man named Kell who can travel into different Londons. They're not parallel universes per say, but they're definitely connected and he's the only one who can travel through them. He meets a girl named Lila and this book is their adventure through the different Londons and trying to stop a stone from destroying his world.

This book is amazing. Victoria Schwab is a fantastic writer and her books are so captivating and spellbinding. I feel like I'm apart of the world I'm reading when it comes to her books. This book does have a few different perspectives, all in third person, but it works so amazingly well. You want to get inside all the character's heads. At least I did. I needed to know what was happening and why all those things were happening. Black London was extremely mysterious and it kept it's mystery which I loved. Some authors give a book a little mystery and lets it die away. It never did in this book, and it never gave us too much. This book did end on a good note so I'm kind of surprised it's getting a trilogy, but who wouldn't want to know what else these characters are getting into? Hopefully Black London will be explored.

All the characters were wonderfully written and felt realistic. I didn't think any of them were outrageous or crazy. Kell is such an easy protagonist to love and Lila is the badass heroine sidekick that spiced this book up. The characters remind me a lot of August and Kate (This Savage Song) and it almost seems like same characters just different plot, but if it works why change it? I was shocked by one characters betrayal. I figured he wasn't on Kell's side but I didn't expect him to turn his back on him. It added so much to this book though.

5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment