Saturday, August 6, 2016

The Leaving Review

The Leaving is the newest (debut?) book by Tara Altebrando and it's the aftermath of 5 kids coming home from an abduction. There were originally six but one, Max, didn't return home and now the kids have to figure out who took them, why they were chosen, why Max didn't return, and how to retrieve their memories. The plot is really hard to explain because it's so intricate. There are three point of views: Lucas and Scarlett (they were apart of The Leaving), and Avery (sister of Max who was abducted). I would not recommend reading this book on an electronic device due to the grammatical and formatting errors that occur.

The characters in this book were just okay. They were all exceptionally bland and Scarlett and Lucas sounding so extremely similar they could just be continuations of each other's chapters. Avery was a complete brat and I wanted to strangle her half the time. She was upset because her mom was crying all the time and then she was disappointed her brother didn't turn up dead. Then, she was completely focused on Sam and Luke and she was so self-centered that I couldn't stand her. She has to be my most hated character I have ever read and I've read some pretty bad characters. The secondary characters were nothing special and I'll be lucky if I remember in them in a day. This book was just not strong in the character department.

This plot could've gone crazy places. There could've been such amazing curveballs that you would've never guessed who took them or why or anything else. Instead, it was so painfully obvious that it hurt. I wasn't sure at first but when one of the character' were introduced oddly I just knew that they had a connection with their disappearances and they did. There were also holes in the plot and we never figured out why something happened and who was doing it. This is one of the most disappointing books that I've read of 2016.

1/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment