Sunday, August 21, 2016

An Ember in the Ashes Review

An Ember in the Ashes was one of the most hyped books of 2015, and its second book, A Torch Against the Night has to be one of the most hyped books of 2016. I believe that An Ember in the Ashes lived up to the hype that surrounded it and it was a very solid debut from Sabaa Tahir. It follows a soldier, Elias, and a slave, Laia, and how they fight against the Empire.

I loved Elias. I thought he had dimension and was extremely likeable. He didn't conform to the rules even though he knew they could kill him for it. He cared for a slave girl even though there was a chance he would get that beat right out of him until he didn't care about anything anymore. He wasn't a jerk like so many other guys in YA can be. I thought he was a stand up guy in this book and has to be one of my favorite characters I've read about this year. I didn't enjoy Laia's character at first. She was very repetitive, but I felt for her with the things she had been through. I ached for her towards the end and felt her desperation on getting her brother out. When she was betrayed, I was shocked and angry at the person. This girl did everything he wanted for him and he never planned on helping her. I grew to love her in the end and she showed just how brave she could be, even when her life could be taken from her.

The writing was very hypnotizing. It felt like you were sitting around a fire while someone told this story filled with magic, betrayal, and so much more. This author is extremely talented and I am very excited for the second book which comes out August 30th.

4.5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment