Monday, July 4, 2016

If I Was Your Girl Review

This book is about a transsexual teen named Amanda who has to deal with a relationship and friends and no one knowing who she truly is. This is an extremely important book for people to read because it shows the struggles of a trans teen in this brutal world. It's 2016 and we still aren't accepting of people who are different than us. We shouldn't care because it doesn't concern us and they aren't hurting anyone. They're being who they are and isn't that the most important thing? That being said, I didn't love this book. So I'm going to split this review into two parts: characters and plot. I have a lot to say about some of these characters.

Characters
1. Amanda (main character)- Amanda was a good main character, but not one that will stick out in my mind for years to come. She's extremely brave for the things she has to go through and she never had self-pity for any of the troubles life put her through. She was a little young sounding for almost being 18 but that's no big deal. A very average character.

2. Bree- I don't know what happened with her. She was introduced as the chill girl who Amanda found a friend in. I never saw any hints that she ever felt affection for her, but all the sudden at the homecoming dance she outs her? I didn't truly understand that. It also seemed extremely out of character for her.

3. Chloe, Layla, and Anna- I'm combining these three because they're rarely seen without the others. They were fantastic female friends and how friends should be. They didn't leave Amanda when Bree did what she did to her. In fact, I think they only got closer and this is how girls should be. Instead of shaming each other, create a tight bond that can last forever.

4. Grant- I hated him since he was first introduced. One minute he was hot and the next minute he was cold for what reasons? I felt he was also bossy and kind of rude towards Amanda. He was just a bland love interest.

Plot
I didn't see where there was a plot in this book at all. I thought this was going to be more about Amanda transitioning, and it was more of the aftermath with some flashbacks of when she started the medicine (I forgot the word. I'm so sorry). I think the only time anything really happened was at the end which seems to be happening for a lot of the books I've been reading lately. I just don't think this was the story I was expecting and that's nothing against the author.

2/5 Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment