Saturday, July 2, 2016

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone {Harry Potter Series - Book One} Review

This review for J.K. Rowlings Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, is going to be a little different than the other reviews we have done. Since we read this book together we are going to review it together. Onto the reviews folks.
Elle's Review For This Novel
What happens in the book is described quite nicely in Redda's review so I'm not going to repeat what she said. I'm actually struggling with writing a review for this book because most of it has been said and done already, but let's do another review. As we all hopefully know, this book series is about a wizard named Harry Potter. This is also my first time ever reading it.

This could be because I'm going into the Potter game pretty late, but I thought that this wasn't anything new. It's just another chosen one story who has enemies and came from a less than desirable home who all the sudden becomes someone completely new. That's nothing new in any genre. This book in all honesty did not have a plot until the end. It was just about his adventures at wizarding school, and if you look closely you'll also see that the book didn't follow any specific plot until the end, as most books do this. That doesn't mean it was a bad book; I still quite enjoyed the shenanigans that the gang got into. I just lost a direction with the book.

The character's were your average stereotypical characters. Nothing new with them either. I loved Ron (yes more than Harry) and didn't like Neville or Malfoy (does anyone like Malfoy?). Hermoine was a typical know-it-all and Harry was a decent main character. Nothing that blew me out of the water.

Now, I know this review may be harsh as this book is directed more towards kids, but I look at books a little more critically than some people and I don't just like to give a book 5 stars because it's popular. Booktubers do enough of that. To conclude, I don't see what all the hype is with this series as it is just an average book series. but I think it's because it's what people grew up with and I'm not knocking that.

4/5 Stars.
Redda's Review For This Novel
When I was younger I attempted to read this book and I just could not get into it whatsoever. But today I am glad to say that I am so enthralled with this book, and series for that matter, I just couldn't wait to finish it. Reading with your best friend is the greatest thing/feeling with books like these because you get to discuss and fangirl over characters, together. Now, my favorite character of this book, was Rubeus Hagrid, better known as Hagrid. 
Harry Potter is a Wizard but he doesn't know that until Hagrid comes to tell him. But let's back up just a smidge. Harry lives with his aunt Petunia, uncle Vernon, and his cousin Dudley. Harry showed up on the Dursley's doorstep when he was an infant and it's a whirlwind from there. The Dursley's didn't want anything to do with Harry because Petunia and Vernon knew he was a Wizard because of his extremely powerful parents, Lily and James Potter, who died in a "car accident." Harry believes his parents died in a car accident, but that isn't the case whatsoever. He lived in a cupboard under their stairs almost all of his life that he lived there and had hand me down clothing from his, much larger than him, cousin. Other than his hand me down clothing, Harry has very few belongings.
On one very unusual day Harry gets a letter, he'd never gotten a letter before, so Mr. Dursley opens it and he doesn't like the contents of the letter and he never lets Harry see it. Letters keep coming and eventually, some time later, Hagrid shows up to tell Harry what's in the letter and that he's a Wizard. Also I love the way Hagrid is written and the way he speaks. He sounds like a pirate but a nice pirate that's really cool. Hagrid takes Harry to get everything he needs for school and such and it's a whole new world for Harry. He's famous. And at Hogwart's he befriends Ronald Weasley and Hermione Granger. Ron and Hermione teach a lot of things to Harry about the Wizard world that he didn't and couldn't learn in the Muggle world, even though Hermione was raised in the Muggle world she is very well educated. Anyways, this is all of the book I will spoil for you, there is so much more to it! I hope you enjoy this series of double reviews! Happy reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment