Tuesday, July 5, 2016

With Malice Review

With Malice is a thriller and a mystery that follows Jill, who is accused of murdering her best friend after she ends up surviving the fatal car accident. She doesn't remember anything that happened before, during, or partly after the accident. She now has to piece together what happened while trying to hold on to her innocence. Included in the book are interviews with family members and witnesses, text messages, and other little things that make you feel as if you're piecing together the crime also.

I typically do not read thrillers after being disappointed by We Were Liars. I figured they were all probably similar and I wasn't missing out on much with this particular genre. That being said, I still decided to pick this book up for some reason. The idea of Jill not having her memory and being blamed for this kind of intrigued me and I saw some hype surrounding this book when it first came out. This is an enjoyable story if you don't expect too much of a shocker at the end.

Jill was a good protagonist. I was cheering for her and hoping that she was innocent and that there was more than what met the eye with the accident. I wasn't expecting a happy ending with her story though she got one and that left me extremely disappointed. There was also a character growth with her towards her feelings toward Simone, and while they were understandable the end still left me shocked and a little upset. I didn't expect her to go so cold towards her, but then again Simone was never a real friend so justice was served in a way. None of the other characters were super involved with the story except Anna. She was a fantastic friend to Jill and was what Jill needed at the time instead of everyone coddling her and pretending her life wasn't changing forever.

Honestly, I'm quite disappointed with this book and as I said before than ending was pretty cold, but I was intrigued with this story the whole time and while I did guess that it was who it ended up being, I still guessed a few other people in the process.

3.5 stars/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment