Saturday, March 26, 2016

Paper Towns - Review

Paper Towns - Novel Review
   In Paper Towns Quentin, "Q", and Margo, as young kids, find the body of a man that had committed suicide in the park. After this happened the book flashes forward to present day when they're in high school. About a month or so before graduation Margo climbs into Q's window and approaches him asking to borrow his mother's van and needing his help. She needed his help with a mission that had eleven parts. This mission was to seek revenge on some people who had hurt her and things she had always wanted to do. Now I'm not going to tell you what they were but they were very good and interesting.
   Q and Margo hadn't been friends since they started high school and Q wondered if their mission that night changed their relationship back to close friends. But the day after Margo doesn't show up to school. She doesn't show up to school the day after that either. So Q goes on a scavenger hunt and finds a piece of paper in his door hinge. The scavenger hunt entails him trying to find Margo's whereabouts. So Q asks Margo's little sister to go in Margo's room and they find other clues. And after they find these clues Q and his friends decide to follow each and every clue and along the way they meet some people that Margo know and they give them some information about where she may be. After she has been missing for a month Q and his friends finally find where she may be and they decide to skip graduation. They drive for a very very long time to this destination, now I won't tell you where they went or what this place is called because its fun to keep you waiting and it makes you want to read the book even more. Do they find her? I won't tell you that part so you'll just have to read it yourself!
Paper Towns - Film Review
   Now that you know about this plot, I can tell you about the differences in the film. In the novel they do break into a place that they shouldn't have and they get caught. Now in the film, they don't even break in, it's never even mentioned. There were nine parts to the mission in the film and there were eleven in the novel. At the end of the film a romance buds between Q and Margo in the film and Margo never liked Q like that in the novel (though Q had a large crush on her in both the novel and the film.) They go to Costco in the film and Wal-Mart in the novel for supplies for the mission. In the film Q and his friends never come across the people who know Margo like they do in the novel. There are some other differences I haven't mentioned but I hope you find them yourself!

   This was the second book I had ever read by John Green and I liked it even better than The Fault in Our Stars, which was the first book I had read by him, and I have to be honest with you. I saw the movie first which I loved. And then by reading the book I noticed all of the differences and I talked about all of them with Elle. I give the novel five out of five stars and I give the film three and a half out of five stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment